Thursday, June 26, 2008

Tiger's win and my brain chemistry -too much of a good thing

You always hear people talking about great sporting events they witnessed on TV. I remember Reggie Jackson's 3 home runs in the 1977 World Series, 1980 miracle on ice Olympics Hockey final, Nicklaus' 1986 Masters victory, and Tiger's 1997 Master's, and last year's Super Bowl. In fact, Tiger leads the list of things that have inspired me -his Pebble Beach Open, his first tournament win, his Hoylake win, and on and on. The funny thing is that I have become a bit numb to Tiger's otherworldly greatness. Maybe it is because I am in medicine and can understand his pain and pathology. 

Bottom line is that we've seen Tiger do it too many times. It's like having a regular table at the best restaurant in Manhattan -the extraordinary when it is too frequent, becomes ordinary. Tiger will now have to shoot consistently below 60 per round to impress me. Rocco, now that is impressive. That he could keep pace with a phenomena like Tiger is something that he'll keep forever, but losing will stand out most in his mind, because he had too many chances to close it out. Even so, how could he?

No comments: